Friday, April 3, 2009

Moving to Pitt


The trip was all and all very positive. We had so much fun as a family hanging out and learning about the new place we will call home. The kids really were amazing. We spent most of the days driving around looking through all the possible neighborhoods we would want to live in. Thank goodness for DVD players.

A few of the things that occurred during the trip made me laugh. Caleb kept asking when are we going to “Picksbird” and we kept saying we are here. He was convinced there must be more to it. Over and over when we would say we are in Pittsburgh he would reply, “Nu uh mommy not yet.” Maybe he was expecting a thing instead of a place.

One evening we watched the Hannah Montana concert and used the hotel bed as a trampoline. It was a great workout and good for lot of laughs. Daddy’s dead fish and chicken walk were show stoppers. Caleb was laughing hysterically. I started laughing when Caleb decided to mimic Daddy and did his own version of the chicken walk.

We were trying hard to make them excited about the move and I have to admit it broke my heart the few times Caleb would sob and say I want to go home. I am not sure what that was all about, but he has never been known for adjusting well to change. One of our many attempts to get him to love it was driving 35 minutes to the only bounce house place in the Pittsburgh area. So sad, when we got there it was closed. Caleb was pretty disappointed, but as a consolation we found a Chucky Cheese and had fun playing for a couple hours.

It is definitely a lot different up there. Overall, everything is much more vintage. This is probably the nice way to say it. My Starbucks addiction will be eradicated. There are only 2 Starbucks in the area (USC) and neither are drive thru. This is quite a contrast to the plethora in the Dallas metroplex. The people seem very friendly which I am thankful for. Everywhere we went people would comment on how pretty Makaylee was and she was her faithful flirty self giving her coy smile and pretty eyes.

We really enjoyed the 10:45 service at the Chapel and when we asked Caleb if he liked the church he quickly said, “I like my new church.” The nursery ladies said Makaylee did great. It is very comforting to know we can get plug into a great church.

I will say I am starting to get really emotional about the move. I guess going up there made it a lot more real. I seem to tear up every time I think about leaving. Caleb was watching Diego one morning, while I was getting ready. I overheard him say when they asked, “who are your good friends you like to do stuff with?” He replied,” Jack and Hampton.” Going to the mall play area at South Hills was just not the same without his buddies. I know he will meet new friends, but it is going to be really hard to say goodbye to the dear sisters and their little ones we have bonded with over the past 3 years. Not to mention all the other amazing friends we have been blessed with in Dallas.

The last day in Pittsburgh we decide to venture into the city. Our first stop was the Carnegie Museum of History where we saw T Rex vs. T Rex. Caleb loved all the dinosaurs. He also got to dig for dinosaur bones with Daddy.




Makaylee also thought the dinosaurs were pretty fascinating


We also saw the University of Pittsburgh campus, which we enjoyed immensely. I think my favorite part was the enormous Cathedral of Learning. Caleb was sure that it was a princess castle and that Mickey Mouse was there.

History seemed to be everywhere. This is probably one of the most exciting things about moving to this part of the country. Living in a place that we will have easy access to much of our great country’s History. The township we will live in is Upper Saint Clair and it was founded in 1788.



View from the road our house is on.



The house we will be living in.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails