Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Silver and Gold

So I've been a little Debbie Downer lately. I think having a lot on our plate has contributed, but I also think I'm missing my gold. Say what? Do you remember the song from Brownies "make new friends but keep thee old, one is silver and the other's gold"? Well, lately I've really been missing my sweet (old) friends. It is kind of compares to that favorite pair of jeans that fits just right. You have history and know what to expect. At the beginning of the day they may be a little tight, but you know exactly how they will fit at the end of the day. They are just comfy and safe. We love it in Pittsburgh. I am thankful for so many things about our current situation, but I do miss the friends that felt like family in the Big D.

I am supposed to be writing about what I'm thankful for and I can honestly say I am extremely excited and grateful that in the mist of my pity party, God showed up. He allows does. Just as I was feeling lonely and missing my old life God reminded me that even though I treasure and value the past relationships He has blessed me with, there are new treasures to be found. Yesterday, I was probably feeling my lowest. I really didn't want to go to MOPS. Just a bunch of faces that you make small talk with for a few hours and then you depart only to do it again 2 weeks later. I almost didn't go and I had the perfect excuse since my sweet buddy decided to sleep until I finally woke him at 9:40. Thankfully however, I don't like to waste money and I figured I paid for this I need to go. So we hustled to get ourselves ready and get to MOPS an hour and a half late. I made it just in time for the guest speaker, who was such an encouragement and then we had our discussion time. Randomly (I am sure it was God) I found out that my small group leader lives 3 houses down from me, has a little boy 3 months younger than Caleb and a husband that loves hunting. It was like a sun beam shone down on me. It my not be that comfy pair of jeans, but I know she loves the Lord, I can throw a good spiral pass to her house and icing she has a little buddy Caleb's age. For today, I am thankful for the gold that has taught me with time and effort the silver actually can magically morph into gold.
Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Oh Jamie,
    I am right there w/ you!!! I have really, really been missing my "old pair of jeans" lately...teary as I type. I am so sad that Lucy and Reid will not know you and your kids and that they will not have the benefit of your wisdom and spirit being poured into their lives. You are such a treasure to me and I miss you more than I know how to express!!! I love you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails