Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why Do I Have to Share??

A question my almost 3 year old truly has not understood the answer to until, perhaps today. Today the answer had a little twist.
You should share, because if you don't you might get your nose bit off.
Toys always seem to be the source of contention among our little guys from playgroup. The Valentine party was no exception.




Caleb arrived slightly overwhelmed with the number of kiddos I think, which was confusing to me. Courtney (aka: my mommy idol) suggested maybe the reason sometimes he is excited and can't wait to see his friends and other times he acts very timid could have something to do with our arrival time. Whether or not, he has a chance to get acclimated before too many kids arrive. I'm interested to watch how that plays out, but now back to the story. He had a slight run in with one little guy over a big tonka tractor that ended in Caleb getting hit and crying. We thought he took the tractor, so in an effort to try and stop the behavior, I see it, I want it, so I take it, he got to enjoy a little time in timeout. At home, with Makaylee, she never gives any push back when he takes toys, so I guess he thought it would work here. After his release from timeout against my better judgement we stayed and ate lunch. He seemed really cranky, which is most often caused by either hunger or exhaustion. I thought eating might help, but he had a few bits and quickly lost interest and wanted to play. Again, against my better judgement I let him go. I remember thinking he doesn't seem himself we should leave, but I was still feeding Makaylee so I needed a few minutes. Well, not 2 minutes later I heard a terrible scream coming from the living room. He is at times dramatic, but the sound of his cry scared me. I walk into Stacy holding him in her arms and she passed him to me informing me he got into it with one of his friends and his nose got bit. I was really scared. I guess you could say I had a freak out mommy moment, I couldn't look. As if not looking would change the result. I envisioned his little nose being a mangled mess. One of the other mommies looked for me and reassured me all was okay. There was a little blood, but he was fine. I don't think Caleb will be taking toys from his friends anytime soon.





I realized I am going to have to be more diligent at home when he takes from Sissy. I called Cory on the way home from the party and relayed the course of events from the day. On Par, with a typical dad response he asked, "did he deck him." Hmm, what do I say to that. A little diddy straight from God's word comes to mind.
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Of course, Cory totally agreed, but I do battle if it is okay for our children to stick up for themselves or the respond should always be kindness.

Makaylee looked so cute in her heart outfit. She loved cookie decorating time, because she got to munch on some cookie.




The party was a blast except for the above instance. The kids had tons of fun decorating valentine bags and cookies. Passing out there valentines was chaos, but neat to watch them enjoying giving to their friends. What an amazing playgroup we have been blessed with. Caring and Creative.


2 comments:

  1. What a day. Glad Caleb's nose is okay. He is such a sweet little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. His nose looks pretty rough. I'm so sorry that happened and sorry it made the blog. Hope he is okay and it looks better now!

    ~ebeth

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails