Thursday, July 22, 2010

9th Inning Win!!

Last night we got the opportunity to go to the Pirate's game first class. The tickets included an all you can eat nice dinner in the fancy Lexus club and plush seats right behind home plate. Not to mention the all you can eat snacks and nonalcoholic drinks. Some high end things seem over the top to me, but I have to say I am all about watching baseball in first class. The seats put you right in the action and they are super comfy to boot.

We were really enjoying the game, the Pirates were winning and the kids were all smiles. Then Caleb remembered that balls fly into the stands on occasion and he became obsessed with getting one. I didn't want a replay of the Penguin hockey puck meltdown. Especially, among all the Lexus season ticket holders. I could image their tolerance for a four year old tantrums would be low. I told Caleb we would leave if he got upset about not getting a ball. He recovered, but was still pretty miffed each time someone else caught a foul ball. Around this time the bat boy decided to start pitching the reject balls out into the crowd. Oh great, the ball obsession was turned up a notch and we still had several innings for Caleb to practice self control. I remember thinking, can't you just toss him a ball so the occasional mild pouting doesn't turn into major meltdown. Then I thought, no it would not be good for him. Maybe easier on me, but not good for him to be rewarded for a bad attitude. If we needed to leave that was a sacrifice I needed to make. He about lost it in the 8th and I reminded him that throwing a fit would not get him a ball and we would need to leave. He pulled it together. Daddy told him multiple times just keep trying. He would wave, but the bat boy's glance never made it far enough our way. Finally, in the 9th inning right before Alvarez's second home run

with a big grin and an emphatic wave he made eye contact with the bat boy who kindly tossed us a ball. You have never seen a little guy's face light up that big. He was so ecstatic.
His joy was noticed by all the people around us. It was such an amazing moment for me. There is nothing as enjoyable as seeing your children filled with delight. Especially when it was well deserved.
Here are some highlights from the night.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This video clip is great! I enjoyed reading your post.Thanks and I'm looking forward to read more of your post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails