Monday, July 19, 2010

Parties and People

One of the things we have loved and wanted to be very intentional about since we moved here was investing in our neighbors. We barely knew our neighbors in the house in Plano, mostly because they were all 70 plus and rarely came out of their homes. I still felt a lose that we lived in a house for five years and hadn't invested anytime in the people. We have really gotten to know a number of our neighbors here, which I love. One of the main benefits in having community in such close proximity is they can just pop over and have fun spontaneously. The not so spontaneous is a blast as well, like the lightning bug party my neighbor throw.

The Host
Caleb and Jack inspecting their find.

Cuties
Can you see them?

Daddy getting in on the action
Makaylee watching daddy catch the bugs
Caleb ticked because he didn't win the contest
The winner of the contest
and his sister
and his brother
Thankful for neighbor buddies
Another benefit of getting to know our neighbors is hearing stories that remind and encourage me, good or bad we are always impacting people. A final benefit is the awesome opportunity we have to help each other. This past winter we had the most snow fall on record and hence learned we had a neighbor who was dying of cancer. We were able to get to know this family and be a friend through this difficult time. We've also learned the direct impact this difficult economic time is having on people just down the street. While, I was handing out invitations to help with the bug party, I saw a termination notice on a neighbors window. It reminded me of a challenging financial time in my life. Thankfully, we never got behind on our bills, but it was a rough season.  I 'm just thankful that my sweet friend Kris and her family saw a need and helped me when I didn't have the financial means to fix the problem myself.  It was humbling to take a handout, but it was also a great motivator. It reminded me that when we see a need and have the means to meet it, we should. Maybe then our government wouldn't have to be giving money out to people who aren't using it appropriately.  What an opportunity we have to help and impact those around us when we pray for and are intentional with these opportunities.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. This is such a precious post! Thanks for the great photos...I think I stole almost every single one! We're so happy that you and your sweet family moved in...we love being y'all's neighbors! Hugs to each of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh! I'm feeling so sad for Caleb. Don't worry caleb you will be next winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, and yes we should always help when we can, because you never know when the tables will turn and we are in need.....love you and your heart! aunt di

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails