Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Half Full

We have all heard the saying about the glass and I've never thought of myself as a half empty girl, but I've realized lately that my eyes have been staring at the clear part of the glass. As I've been digging deeper I realize it goes right along with my problem solving personality, which is a strength. In order to make things better you have to see the problem, so you can solve it. However, if you get fixated on the problem you fail to see all the good that is going on in the mist of what needs sharpened. Even when things are way off and seem a mess there is always some good. Corrie Ten Boom, a survivor of the holocaust, reminds me that even in the darkest place we can always look up. "If you look at the world, you'll be distressed. If you look within, you'll be depressed. If you look at God you'll be at rest." 


I've been doing an awesome bible study Calm My Anxious Heart by Linda Dillow and it really has helped me see my perspective is seeing the mud instead of the stars. Whether, it be with my role as mommy, my body or with the people both friends and family I have been focusing on the things that need fixing and not all the wonderful. I've been so encouraged by Philippians 4:8 
Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

I am not suggesting we ignore problems. Rather, see the problem, point it out if necessary, even come up with a solution if possible, but then focus on the good. The temptation is to hyper focus on the less than desirable. Seeing the tiny weed in the mist of a beautiful flower garden. I know there are seasons where it feels like the weeds just keep growing, choking out the beauty. Thus, making it all the more necessary to keep our eyes fixed on the flowers no matter how minimal they seem and then get to weeding. I've found this applies to all aspects of my life, but one area imparticular is focusing on that one part of a person's personality that seems like a tall thistle ready to burst seed and I miss all their beauty.


Even if their beauty doesn't stand out like the butterfly it is there and we must choose to let that be our focus. I was especially encouraged last night by the Proverbs 31 women who is the perfect example of seeing what's going on around her, giving wisdom, but not dwelling on things that lead to destruction.
She opens her mouth in skillful and godly Wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness [giving counsel and instruction]. She looks well to how things go in her household, and the bread of idleness (gossip, discontent, and self-pity) she will not eat.
And now to dwell on some of that lovely.


Our fishing project
They loved the craft of making them


 But the fishing was the best part
All smiles on her catch of the pink fish
Kisses from Daddy over the moon
If this looks fun check out how to get it done at Fun Mom Online.
Photobucket

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails