Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Baffeled By Backgrounds

Ever since I started this blog I have been trying to make it cuter and cuter for free. Thanks to Cutest Blog on the Block and Shabby Blogs there a some fun free blog backgrounds. Yet, at times the backgrounds have not been quite right for what I needed on my blog. Plus, I love doing my digital scrapbook software, so I knew I could have a great time creating background images if I could just figure out the secret. I got the basic how to's from a very a helpful site, but it still wasn't working. I don't have Photoshop, so following the directions exactly wasn't an option and making do wasn't cutting it. Finally, after countless hours thanks to my determined personality, I figured out dpi and the type of image (jpg or png) makes a huge difference in the world of html code. I am inspired to change my background, because I just got great new pictures from the amazing Robin Sherman in Dallas. I am going to remind myself what I figured out, because updating my background doesn't happen but about every six months and I'm sure I will forget by then and it may help you, too. The main thing to keep in mind if you're not working with Photoshop when you are getting directions for Photoshop is to stick as close to possible with the dpi and dimension recommendations. In her example she used 100 dpi and made the image 14"x 7.5". In my software the closest options were 150 or 96 dpi, so I just adjusted my image to 15" and saved it at 96 dpi. I actually I had to make it a bit smaller in height. Don't ask my why. After several attempts of loading to my Photobucket account sized at 1 MEGA,  I got my image to fit in the background section. The other issue is the column width for the post information. The white background in my case. She recommended nine inches for a 3 column blogger blog.  For me 10 inches worked better, maybe because I expanded the image. Again, who knows? I am really loving my new background and header. Now, if I can just remember how I imported a font and changed the color I can make everything match. If history repeats it could be hours or days, but eventually I will have the blog looking up to snuff. It might make sense to hire someone, but I think solving the mystery is half the fun for this stay at home mom of two adorable munchkins.




Check them out in the new header and background.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails