Thursday, June 18, 2009

God's Sovereignty

Last week Cory and I had something happen that was a little unsettling. This combined with feelings of discontentment with our house situation I think we were both feeling a little low. But, God is so good to help get our perspective right.

All of us probably have things that we wish were different about our current life situation or if we don't currently, it is waiting just around the corner. I was really encouraged by God's reminder in Philippians 4:11-13 about finding contentment in all our circumstance.
I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am. I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.
I am sure many of you have heard this passage and maybe it has impacted you, but I want to thank the Lord for putting it in our faces this past Sunday. It is so easy to be pulled away from truth especially when you are living in a new place with no friends to spur you on and God in His goodness reminded Cory and I that we can be content. Our circumstance my not be exactly as we wish, but if we dwell there pretty soon we will think things are far worse. Our hope is in Christ and the security only He can bring. If we start to think a job, person or place provides contentment we are setting ourselves up for much disappointment. One thing that our Pastor pointed out this Sunday when he was addressing the singles, but it helped me, "If you are not content in your singleness you will not be content in marriage." It is so easy to think if I just have this or get that I will be happy and when we get the this or that something new comes along we think, oh if I just had that. He reminded us that God is sovereign and He has us where we are to grow us and use us for his Glory and we should live each day with this in mind. If we do we can be thankful no matter our circumstance. There were 3 people on the stage that gave examples of this in their life and one was a man who lost his wife. He said, "Yes I miss Faith (his wife) very much but if I had to return to the man I was before I lost her and not have learned what I have about God I would not ask for Faith back. This was pretty impactful for me. I am I willing to lose what I treasure most to better understand who God is and who he made me to be. Sadly, so often I'm so focused on the things I want that I forget that He withholds no good thing from those who walk uprightly, so if I don't have it, it must not be good for me.

I am so thankful that God loves us so much that when we start to have bad thinking He is faithful to get us in His word and focused back on Truth.
Today's Journey reading was very encouraging.
Join the Journey

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails