Thursday, March 18, 2010

Never give up Tri

After playing a college sport I think there is a little bit of a longing for the adrenalin and excitement that goes along with each competition. So my sister, my cousin Chelsea and I decide about six months ago to motivate ourselves to workout by training for a Triathlon. We all probably realistically started our training about 13weeks out, but it was a great discipline.

The day before the race Cathy our awesome coach prepared us for all the elements. Numeral uno being the super cold water. I have had two children with not a bit of pain medicine and I have to say I would rather do that than get in the painfully cold water. First, we jumped into Chelsea's pool at a whopping 62 degrees. It did give me some confidence for race day, but sadly my swim was more of a flailing please make it to shore without needing one of the surfer duds to come rescue me than an actual swim. I was a little disappointed, because I really thought this would be my strength. I guess my lungs just couldn't hang with the cold water.

Surprisingly the bike was refreshing. Around a third of the way into it we hit a head wind and I would have loved to have a road bike to get down in a tucked position. I really think spin class prepared my legs for the mostly flat track. It was a little humbling to have multiple women I would have sworn I was in better shape than cruise by me, but I was having a blast.

Finally, on my run, probably my true strength I was able to pass many of those people that boggled my mind on the bike. However, after riding a bike that long my legs felt rather odd. It felt like I had heavy weights tied to my ankles and the needle sensation you get when you stand up and your legs are numb is the best way I can describe how it felt to make this transition.

I remember feeling emotions of joy and accomplishment rise up at the end of my first mile. I knew I would finish strong, because I finally could feel my legs again. It wasn't pretty, my running form never is, but it made for such an exciting finish to have friends and family cheering me in.

We accomplished our goals and I to my great surprise actually had a faster time than my cousin the track star and my sister who historically during a run I'm looking at her backside.

We are all ready for another one, but I have to say sharing it with these two wonderful girls is what really made it special.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails