Thursday, March 25, 2010

Seaworld

I am sure most everyone has heard the story about the trainer in Florida who was killed, but maybe you don't know the details. Because our trip was scheduled just a few weeks after this tragedy the Seaworld experience was very different than what I remember as a child. The trainers no longer enter the water with the whales. Apparently, they are researching their procedures to insure no other tragedy like the one in February ever happens again. I don't think that there is firm evidence on exactly what happen that day. An eye witness said the whale was no where near the trainer when she initially entered the water. Perhaps she slipped? I did hear that some say she was pulled into the water. The story varies from ponytail to waist. I probably read 10 reports and watched 15 videos and none of them were 100% consistent. What about responsible journalism?? So, exactly what happened remains a mystery to me. I will say after listening to all the reports there is a lot of negative opinions about the park. I thought it was neat to learn about the heart of Seaworld and the trainers. They are trying to learn about marine life and helping insure that it thrives. I am not trying to defend them, but watching the trainers interact you could tell they love the animals.

One show at Seaworld was called Pets Rules and all these animals were rescued. It was amazing watching cats and pigs doing things that I couldn't even get my kids to do. I guess my point is I think these people have dedicated their lives to making a difference and so it makes me sad to hear the negative things. The one thing that was consistent in all the reports was the trainer's love and dedication to her work. I know there are probably arguments to both sides, but it was nice to read and learn the heart of Seaworld. While we were at the park there was a plane flying above with a sign attached that said, "Let the whales out of prison." I did wonder if Seaworld was just in this for the money and clearly this is not the case. So here are a few pictures from our time there. Sorry they were with my phone. I forgot the camera that day. The kids absolutely loved it!!



Makaylee giving the Shamu sign to splash.
THIS WAS MY FAVORITE PART OF THE SHOW!!

The otters were very playful.

and so was this huge polar bear
We loved the dolphins.
Their permasmile makes me happy.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails