Thursday, September 17, 2009

Can't Steal Our Joy

Yesterday, we woke up at the butt crack and throw our stuff together in 2 suitcases and a tote and headed for Beaumont Texas for Cory's youngest brother's wedding. We were in normal Ruiz fashion running a few minutes late. Thankfully, everything went smoothly and we easily made our flight on time, but in the rush I forgot to get my wedding ring out of the bag. I mindlessly packed the beautifully inscribed (Mark 10:8) diamond ring the night before in the bag I planned to check. The thought definitely crossed my mind what if my bag gets lost? Obviously the thought crossed my mind, but like a flash it was gone. My ring, the one Cory spent many months and much effort designing and having specially made for me road below in the cargo area.


Let me pause for a moment and say our 4 hour flight couldn't have gone any smoother. Makaylee slept and Caleb watched movies on our relatively new Macbook. We arrived in Houston on time, met Grandmaw in Papa's Big TruCK and loaded up.

Again, I thought about my ring now riding in the suitcase in the back of Papa's Big TruCK, but again like a flash that thought was gone. We headed to get some much longed for Texmex. Before going into the restaurant, being extra cautious people we moved the bags from the back of the truck to the cab. Everything was safely locked up. I grabbed Makaylee's diaper bag, my wallet and of course my Iphone and headed inside. We enjoyed our food and then went back out to the TRuCK, so we could get to Lumberton and see Papa. Makaylee needed her diaper changed. I put her down in the front set of the truck and we noticed everything was shuffled around. Hmmm, what happened here? Did the kids get into things? It took a moment for my mother -in-law to noticed our bags were gone. One the contrary, I probably would have loaded up got all the way to Lumberton and then notice we had no luggage.

I have to say my initial reaction was a sick pit in my stomach. Did this really happen?We recalled right away many of the items the thieves made off with. We had the computer, all the wedding clothes (Caleb is the ring bearer and Makaylee the flower girl) and my ring. The thought of the location of my ring sank in deeper and deeper, burned in my brain.

I really felt violated. Did someone really think they could in broad daylight, in the middle of lunch rush, break into a huge truck and make off with all our stuff unbeknowst to anyone. Oh yes, they thought they could and they did!

We had to wait for a good while for the police to come write on some paper, tell us this happens all the time and then leave. I wanted to make a quick note here for anyone visiting the Houston area. Never stop east of 610 west of Beltway 8 on Interstate 10 even though there are some chain restaurants you are familiar with. We were not the first victims to experience this fate.

In the meantime we were melting in the Houston heat and all the other things they ripped off were going through my mind. Like all the diapers that I desperately needed to remove the horrible stench coming from Makaylee's behind. Praise God, I took another look in the diaper bag and found 2 diapers buried in the bottom and was able to fix one problem.

Now we had to figure out how to fix the problem of replacing all the clothes for the wedding on Saturday. We got the amazing privilege of taking two extremely tired toddlers to the Galleria Mall to comb 4 department stores and 3 children stores for the same items that I order through the mail after spending months looking. The kids were pretty much done by this point and so were mommy and daddy. The thought of replacing everything we needed was overwhelming in my exhaustion. I thought about our 2 cameras with all the pictures lost and I really think my knees buckled, but there is good news. My mind had basically turned to mush at this point and I had forgotten I backed everything up earlier this week. I have almost everything from both cameras and the computer backed up on our hard drive at home or at least that is what I am choosing to believe today.

We shopped like mad people and found some exact and some have to settle with replacements (still have hopes for the flower girl dress). Then we made our last stop at Victoria Secret to get a few much needed undergarments. I rounded up my items and with 2 screaming kids checked out. The nice man, Sammy totaled up my load and I gave him my credit card. He swiped and guess what happened next? Oh ya, my card was declined. Of course there was a huge line behind me, but I was determined to make my purchase. I called the credit card company to ask them to fix the problem. Sammy asked if I could step to the side so he could take care of his other customers. I spoke with my Visa representative and he assured me I was back in business. Got off the phone and can you believe it my card was declined, again. Oh yes, a second time. At this point the kids were running around screaming, Cory was DONE, but I wanted my girly things. Being his amazing self, my sweet hubby called Visa and whipped them into shape. I was finally able to make a successful transaction after 3 more card swipes and a manual entry.

Cory and Renee decided to head out of the store to relocate the loud obnoxious children disturbing the peace. I took my pink bag to catch up with the crew and wouldn't you know it, I set off the alarm. I was thrilled. Not only did I look like a person who over spends, but I could now add kleptomaniac to my resume. Sammy had forgotten to remove a censor. Shocker. {ba ha ha ha, u know}.

We were all drained both physically and emotionally. 15 hours from when my alarm had gone off, 1500 miles traveled and what felt like at least that walking around a mall we waved our white flags and went to the TRuCK.

I had a moment to access the situation and I thought of Matthew 6:19

Do not store up for yourself treasures on earth where moths and rust destroy and THIEVES BREAK in and STEAL for where your treasure is there your heart will also be.


I realized God had given me a much better understanding for this verse then I've had in the past. I am thankful for the realization that more stuff equals more headache. But it is deeper than that I am committed to great change as a result of this eye opening experience.

Cory and I are always saying we want to laugh more and I can say we got a lot of laughs out of this frustrating situation.

First, Caleb brought a smile to my face. When grandma picked us up from the airport we talked about how we would be dressing up in our new clothes and doing some dancing at the wedding. So when we informed Caleb our clothes had been stolen he quickly and with the sweetest look of despair said, "oh no, they stole our dancing clothes, now we can't dance no more." I quickly responded, " oh baby we will dance, even if we aren't wearing any underwear."


Insurance asked us to take an inventory of all the items, so we have been racking our brains to remember everything. I thought my thieves might enjoy a message through facebook.


Thieves I hope you logged onto my facebook and are reading this with my glasses on and know that Jesus loves you and wants you to open up the Book in the black tote bag.


Yeah, they stole our bibles.

Thirdly, we have a running joke now whenever we think about something we would normally say like, "what suitcase do you want to make for dirty clothes, oh wait we don't have any." "Where'd you put the toothbrushes? Oh yeah, they are gone. It got pretty wild thinking through the items in the bag, but I will keep this PG. {ba, ha, ha, u know}

Finally, one of our cousins called and said she wanted to help in any way she could, she had plenty of undergarments granny panties, bikinis and thongs. I was welcome to any underwear. Thank you sweet, Joni.

I am grateful that those rotten thieves can't steal our joy, but I will say it is a little discouraging to be reminded of the condition of our world. Just in case you boys do get on my computer and happen to find this blog. I remember you. I can't seem to recall the details of your face, but I remember you watching me put the bag in the car and your long gaze. You made off great this time, but one time you might not get so lucky. YOU MAY WANT TO RETHINK YOUR LIFE!

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jamie. I am SO, so, so, sorry. The situation is so shocking and tragic, and yet you all seem to have handled it so well. You continue to sharpen me. Love you friend. I'm so sad that we don't get to enjoy spending time with you this weekend. We need to get our next weekend on the calendar that includes getting to spend time with you, friend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails