Thursday, September 3, 2009

Observe Warning Signs!!


How to Take a Stroller on an Escalator

When you're pushing a stroller around the mall, an escalator can seem like a lifesaver if there isn't a convenient elevator nearby. Follow safety strategies when riding the moving staircase, however, to protect you and your toddlers from accidents and injury.
Skip down to the second set of steps if you've got this skill mastered.

Instructions
Step 1
Remove your baby or toddler from the stroller and let a friend or family member hold her while going up or down the escalator.

Step 2
Fold the stroller up completely, ensuring that no stroller toys, packages, accessories or your purse handles are sticking out the sides where they can easily become tangled in the escalator grate.

Step 3
Step onto the escalator and sit the stroller wheels on the step beside you or in front of you if the escalator is narrow. Balancing it on the step behind you will keep you from facing forward as you ride the escalator, which will divert your attention when it comes time to step off.

Step 4
Leave several steps between you and the riders in front of you and advise riders behind you to do the same. The extra steps will give you enough time to maneuver the stroller off the escalator without worrying about causing a dangerous backup.

Step 5
Check your clothing before you get onto the escalator to ensure you don't have any dangling garments or accessories (like a long sweater, scarf, anklet or pant hem) that can snag on the escalator grate while you're preoccupied with the stroller.

Step 6

Walk the extra steps to reach the elevator or resign yourself to staying on the same floor if the elevator is out of service when you're alone with your baby and stroller. You can also find a mall or building security guard (rather than relying on strangers) to help you hold the stroller while you carry your baby on the escalator.

Or you can do what I did

Step 1
Throw
Common Sense out the window.

Step 2
Mindlessly jump on the elevator with a hand full of pretzels

Step 3
Keep one year old in stroller

Step 4
Fail to hold three year old's hand.

Result
My 3 year old steps half committed onto the escalator with me and then quickly realises he is not holding my hand. He panics, freezes and one foot continues up the escalator, while the other is firmly planted on sold ground. At this point I feel totally helpless as I am heading up the escalator holding the stroller with Makaylee riding inside. What do I do? If I let go of the stroller I send Makaylee tumbling, all the while I am watching my little guy get pounded by each new step. All I could do is scream, "PLEASE STAND UP BUDDY." He is so panicked at this point yelling, "you didn't hold my hand." I was almost to the top where I could push Makaylee to safety and run down and rescue him. When a sweet and very calm lady, who probably wanted to yell you idiot mom, saved him.

I would love to say this extremely bone headed move was an isolated incident, but I feel like I've been having frequent laps in judgement, lately.

Yesterday, my mommy brain resulted in Caleb handing me a present that resembled a stretched and mashed tootsie roll and insisting, "sissy did it, not me." I guess I should have put a diaper on her before getting myself ready. Do they have a term for Mommies who are losing their minds.

The kids have been a little off on their schedule and I've been staying up way to late playing on the computer, so sleep deprivation is contributing. I'm just thankful the escalator incident was the worst consequence, thus far and we are all okay. Just a little emotionally traumatised.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails