Monday, September 28, 2009

Survivor

I decide to take an opportunity to teach Caleb a little about our Freedoms by planting a tree grown from a seed handpicked from the Survivor Tree. The Survivor Tree, more than 90 years old, is an American Elm Tree in the heart of downtown Oklahoma City. It survived the bomb's blast and witnessed one of the worst terrorist attacks on American soil.

I had great intentions, but then decided I needed to capture the moment on film, so I ran back in the house for just a moment. Upon my return, I found no leaves left on our tree. I was so upset. Recognizably far to upset and totally missed the teaching moment. I fell victim to frustration and communicated with extreme passion that I was tired of Caleb destroying everything. Let me just quickly interject, he doesn't destroy everything, so my absolute was definitely poison to my little buddy's soul. After, some discipline for Caleb and me humbly apologizing for my lack of self-control we did get the leafless tree in the ground.

If you look very closely you can see the stick coming out of the ground.
The Survivor Tree is a symbol of human resilience. Today, as a tribute to renewal and rebirth, the inscription around the tree at the OKC memorial reads, "The spirit of this city and this nation will not be defeated; our deeply rooted faith sustains us." I can't help but be encouraged by this as I fight daily to be the women and mommy God desires me to be. There are days I feel like I'm barely surviving.

Of course we had to throw rocks in the water after our task was complete.


I couldn't resist taking pictures of my baby girl perched on this rock.

Caleb couldn't resist missing out on some attention, so he joined into the fun.

Such an amazing big brother when he feels like it.

Photobucket

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails