Monday, February 22, 2010

Failure

I've been in another one of my funks lately. I feel like this is such a reoccurring theme in my life and I hate it. I have a wonderful husband, beautiful kiddos and security. I love the Lord and should be content, right? So what the heck is my problem? I've been praying for some clarity on this and here is some of the answer. I am such a perfectionist and extremely results driven. This mom thing is sooooo hard for my personality. There isn't a day that goes by that through my eyes I don't feel like a big fat failure. From a head knowledge stand point I know this isn't true. I work hard around the house, love and serve my kids to no end and try really hard to make my husband feel loved. I have some talent on the creative side of things and I am not dumb. I could list more, but you get the idea. Yet, I still have a huge feeling of disappointment with how I am doing. It makes sense if you think about it. I am results driven. How often do you get desired results from a one or three year old? I think I have good kids, but they do the exact opposite of what I ask of them multiple times each day. I try to love and serve Cory, but we are wired so different that I honestly can't do it all the time, and for sure not with a happy heart. One top of all this, my little projects lately have not been resulting they way I'd hoped. I'm heavy hearted and really feeling a huge burden that makes me want to get in my car and flee. Another response that I absolutely hate. I would never do it, but I hate that I have these thoughts. So where is the silver lining? I guess what I am clinging to is that this is a part of the refining process. I might have the knowledge that no matter how hard I try I can't be perfect; however, this knowledge doesn't not stop me from the feelings of failure. I know God wants me to realize my worth doesn't come from my abilities, but through Him. He thought I was worth so much that He sent His son for me. I must preach this to myself daily, otherwise, I do get bogged down in the less than ideal. I'm reminded that God's strength is made perfect in my weakness. Thankful for perspective.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. so sorry friend. I know that feeling inadequate is something that I struggle with a lot too. Praying that God will daily renew you with a joyful outlook and heart

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaime,
    Praying for you friend!
    Love,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. don't be so hard on yourself, the fact that you care and worry this passionately about this makes you way ahead of most mom's! Young children are exhausting...but also the best part of your life. My advice: don't sweat the small stuff, shock your children once in a while and say yes (wish I would have done this more) when they whine and cry, whine and cry with them and agree with them, life is not always fair...tell them that you understand and you feel that way too, and let it go and do something spontaneous! eat ice cream before dinner, skip bath time, wear messy hair to the store, whatever. And when they ask for something that you always so no to, say yes, like you know what, I appreciate that you were nice to your sister today, so yes you can have that pudding, or a pack of gum (in line at the store) whatever it is, they will think you are the greatest mom on earth...and when all else fails, get a baby sitter and go out...have some Jamie time...but, eventually you will have 2 kids in school...and you will have the whole day to yourself, and you will be surprised how excited you will be a 2:00 when they come home! :0) love you, aunt di

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails