Sunday, July 26, 2009

Healthy Alternatives

I thought it would be fun to start making Mondays a day to communicate healthy alternatives. I've been really convicted lately about how lazy I am with feeding the kids what is easy and convenient, which for me is usually not very healthy. I wanted to try and make this a focus of our family and figured if I set aside one day a week to be creative I would start to get back on track. I thought I would put foods we eat regularly that maybe aren't real healthy and find an alternative that is good for you. Would love to hear your recommendations!! I had a great one, but I will save it for next week. This week I decide to give a heads up to anyone reading this; drink the new Juicy Juice with DHA with caution.

We took a fun trip to Virginia this weekend. I will post more on this through the week, but back to the Juicy Juice. I gave each of them a sippy cup full to start the trip. We were doing great until about 3 hours into our trip. We stopped to go potty and Caleb had to do a number 2 and this must of opened the floodgates, because we stopped at almost every McDonalds from Morgantown to Blacksburg for a potty break. And then it got so bad we were stopping on the side of the road for him. He had a terrible case of the runs. It didn't seem to hurt, but it turned a 5 hour trip into 7 hours. I wasn't sure of the cause and then about an hour after we arrived Makaylee came down with the same horrible issue. My babies' tummies did not handle this drink well at all. Needless to say we were interesting house guests for my cousin James and his wife Adrian. They were very hospitable and we had a great time, but we won't be drinking anymore DHA Juice.
I also thought it would be fun to post pictures of something we did as a family that was fun and active. This is Caleb and Cory running up a hill and turning a parking block into a balance beam.
We had fun trying to do some pull-ups at the ranger workout area on the Virginia Tech campus.
Caleb got alitte nervous hanging 8 feet above ground.



So easily amused.

And Makaylee got her own little workout walking around in the rocks. She was very proud of her ability to maneuver through the rough terrain.
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. How much juice did you give them? I think the AAP guidelines say 4-6oz per day for little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would probably explain it. Their sippy cups hold 8 oz. I usually put some water in with the juice, but I can't remember if I did that morning. There is no recommendation on the box except serving size. I guess we learned the hard way. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails