Thursday, July 9, 2009

Loving the Proverbs

Reading the Proverbs has lead to a number of teachable moments lately, mostly for me.

We are trying to decide on the house situation and I've loved being reminded daily that we ultimately are not in control we just need to search our hearts and do what we believe is right but ultimately God's will, prevails. This is encouraging unless your heart is being lead by wrong motives. Although, this may sound simple, I'm finding there are many factors that lead to our decisions and I can't 100% with confidence say I know my heart is 100% pure. We are currently searching and praying we make a wise, God honoring decision. I really wish I could hear God's voice. I have always struggled with knowing which purchases are okay. Like for instance if I can buy a perfectly good pair of jeans for $20, but they are not as cute on as the $120 jeans is it wrong to buy the expensive jeans?
Proverbs 20: 5 The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out.
Proverbs 21:2 All a man's ways seem right to him, but the LORD weighs the heart.
Proverbs21:5 The plans of the diligent lead to profit as surely as haste leads to poverty.


I've also been convicted sadly by these verses.
Proverbs 20:3 It is to a man's honor to avoid strife, but every fool is quick to quarrel.
Proverbs 21:19 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill-tempered wife.

I am not sure what my problem is, but I've been amazingly critical of Cory lately. I'm currently working on having the appropriate emotions for the situation. I think because of life I have formed self protecting walls that cause me to be very cold when I am hurt. I guess my pride never wants people to see I am weak. It doesn't work great in marriage, so I am thankful God is showing me this and praying refining goes quick for Cory's sake.

I've been so tired since we got back from Hawaii. I can't seem to adjust back. So Proverbs 20:4 A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing or Proverbs 20:13 Do not love sleep, or you will become poor; Open your eyes, and you will be satisfied with food should have been motivators, but with Makaylee sleeping until noon and Caleb happy to watch Mickey Mouse this morning seeing my eyelids on the couch was way to appealing.

Finally, Caleb has been telling lies. I am not sure when it started, but I've really noticed this past week. I don't know if he really understands what he is doing, so I am currently trying to teach him what a lie is and help him understand that when there are eggs still on his plate he didn't eat them all. These verses have been wonderful tools. Now if I could just remember the actual verse and not my sad paraphrased version when I need them.
Proverbs 19:5 A false witness will not go unpunished, And he who tells lies will not escape.
Proverbs 19:22
What is desirable in a man is his kindness, And it is better to be a poor man than a liar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails